As a family we’re really trying to eat better. I’ve got a teenager that would live off pizza and a toddler with Autism who really struggles with food and will only eat beige, dry foods, The hubby & I are on a healthy eating kick so most mealtimes consist of four different meals.
Add to this the fact I’m going through testing for Celiac Disease after years of struggling with bloating, stomach pains and the rest so I’ve been trying to find healthy, gluten free meal ideas and recipes that will suit the whole family. So I’m taking back the kitchen and using the Little Kitchen hub for inspiration.
I never even realised that rice was gluten free so I’m loving trying out different kinds of risottos. They’re so much easier to make than you think, you can add anything you like and sneak in a few extra vegetables too.
This week we had prawns for a stir fry but the hubby really didn’t fancy it so I decided to just make a prawn risotto instead using whatever I could find in the fridge.
- 150g smoked bacon lardons
- 250g Arborio Rice
- 3 spring onions
- 200g king prawns
- 1l of hot chicken stock
- 1tbs fish sauce
- Fry off the bacon lardons in a little olive oil, then once browned & crispy add the sliced spring onions. Fry for a further minute before adding the Arborio rice.
- Once the rice has turned slightly translucent add about a quarter of the stock ensuring it covers the rice, then simmer
- Add more stock about a quarter at a time
- If the prawns are uncooked fry them off or if already cooked add them to the risotto with the last quarter of stock
- Simmer until all the liquid is fully absorbed and the rice is fluffy & creamy
For a simple throw together it tasted amazing. I think I’ll be trying out a salmon and broccoli risotto next time, or maybe a pizza inspired one for the teenager featured chopped Spanish meats, peppers & lot’s of Parmesan!
Do you ever create throw together meals? Is risotto one of your favourites?