Carrot cake is one of my favourites but even though it sounds healthy it usually has so much oil in it, it’s far from the healthy choice. So I decided to tweak my favourite recipe to make it a little healthier by using coconut oil instead of sunflower oil, plus it also had to be Gluten Free.I‘ve never used coconut oil in baking before but as long as you melt it first it’s actually easy to work with. I used Go Nutrition Organic Virgin Coconut Oil in this recipe, which is ideal for cooking.
RECIPE | GLUTEN FREE CARROT CAKE
Serves: 1 hr 10 mins
- 150g coconut oil, melted
- 200g caster sugar
- 250g carrots, grated
- 140g sultanas
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 200g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
For the icing - for dairy free version leave out the icing or substitute butter for dairy free margarine
- 75g butter, softened
- 175g icing sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon, plus extra for dusting
- Melt the coconut oil then allow to cool a little before pouring over the sugar and stirring well
- Stir in the grated carrot & sultanas before adding the egg a little at a time. If you don't allow the coconut oil to cool it will cook the eggs!
- Add the flour, cinnamon & ginger and mix well
- Tip the mixture into a silicone loaf tin or slightly greased loaf tin and bake for 50-55 mins until golden brown on top & a skewer comes out clean
- Allow to cool for around 15 mins before removing from the tin.
To make the icing
- Cream the butter with an electric whisk until soft & creamy white then gradually add the icing sugar & cinnamon and beat until thick & creamy