I’ve tried a few crustless quiches but to me they just feel like a big omelette or frittata rather than a quiche. I like it to have a crust but pastry is so high in syns that I want to avoid it as much as possible. Then I found an amazing idea online about using potatoes as a crust instead. Genius!This Slimming World Quiche feels so much more like an actual quiche. I do miss the pastry but this version with a hash brown crust is a very close second for me. Plus it makes an amazing breakfast or lunch with some salad to increase your speed food. It also freezes really well so you can save extra portions to keep you on plan.
You can easily edit the recipe to your taste, why not try bacon and mushroom or cheese & tomato, or everything all together!
- 3 large potatoes, grated
- 2 onions, sliced
- ham or bacon, trim any fat
- 350g of fat free cottage cheese
- 6 eggs
- salt & pepper
- Frylight or other low cal spray
- 160g of cheddar cheese (4x HE A, 1 HE A for each portion)
- Peel & grate the potatoes, then dry of in a muslin cloth or kitchen towel
- Spray your quiche tin or baking tray with Frylight and add the grated potato & season
- Pop in the oven until lightly golden
- In a separate pan, lightly brown the bacon, onions and any other extras you fancy such a mushrooms
- Once the grated potato is cooked , add the bacon & onion mix on top
- Whisk the cottage cheese, eggs and salt & black pepper then pour over the layers in the quiche tin
- Add any other extras on top such as sliced tomatoes and your grated cheese if you're using it
- Return to the oven until cooked through & golden on top, approx 30mins
I find making this in advance and having portions ready to reheat saves so much time but stops me from eating junk during the day as I work from home. I’ve found the best way to freeze is to divide them into four portions and pop into individual containers. I’ll defrost it overnight in the fridge then reheat in the oven. You can reheat in the microwave but you lose some of the crispness of the hash brown crust.
Just don’t forget to add any syns if you’re adding things like sliced sausage or anything that’s not on the free foods list!
Have a nosy at my Slimming World loss diaries to see how I’m getting on. Don’t forget to subscribe to my channel for more updates.
OTHER SLIMMING WORLD POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Slimming World Free Foods to add to you shopping list