If you’re a regular reader then you’ll know I bake a lot of cake! On average about five a week and have never had any problems with this sponge cake recipe. It’s basically a Victoria Sponge recipe and I’ve no idea where I originally got the recipe from, it may have been my Mother in Law, all I know is I memorised it years ago and have been using it ever since.
I sometimes tweak it with different flavourings which work well, plus also use a slightly modified version for vanilla cupcakes too just adding an extra 5gms of the dry ingredients.
- 225g butter or marg
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1tbsp milk to loosen
- line two cake 8inch tins with greaseproof paper
- cream together the butter & sugar until pale & fluffy. I use my electric mixer, much easier
- add the eggs one at a time, mixing everything together between each egg
- slowly add the flour in small amounts
- add the vanilla essence and milk if required
- divide between the two tins equally
- bake on 180c or gas mark 4 for around 20-25 mins until a skewer comes out clean and the top of the cake is golden
This recipe was used for a Naked Wedding cake I recently made, it was beautiful sandwiched with lot’s of jam & buttercream & dusted with icing sugar, yum!