It’s coming up to two months since my emergency spinal operation and thankfully I’m well & truly on the mend now. I still have a lot of pain in my leg but no where near as much as it was pre op.
My back is starting to feel much better, the worst pain is in the morning when I first get up but it does ease of a little once I’ve gotten moving and done some stretching. You don’t realise how much your every day activities can affect your body and since my op I now have to really take care of my back as I could easily end up with recurring problems. The spinal team were very pleased with my 6 week check but made it clear I need to make some changes, especially due to my work as a cake decorator & blogger means that I can end up hunched over a cake or computer screen working way which won’t do my health any good.
Dr Luther Moss from the ML Chiropractor Clinic has given these 5 quick tips for keeping your body healthy
What general advice can you give?
The most important piece of advice is to keep mobile. Immobility i.e. too long hours of sitting or staying still is literally damaging our bodies and our brains. Research now shows that keeping mobile helps to maintain normal brain/neurological function and helps to prevent the onset of many chronic diseases such as arthritis, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
Luther’s top 5 tips for optimising your health:
– Do a minimum of 3 minutes stretching in the morning and the evening (make sure you follow good advice on stretches)
– Set an alarm on your computer for every 40-60minutes and then move when it goes off. Even rolling your shoulders and turning your head from side to side makes a difference, ideally get up and walk for 2-3 mins.
– Do at least 3 sessions of 20 minutes intensive exercise per week – ideally get a personal trainer!
– Challenge yourself regularly by learning new exercise routines or movement patterns to force it to maintain its strength and adaptability.
– Finally drink at least 1.5-2 ltrs of fresh (preferably filtered) water each day. Many people are dehydrated and this is very damaging for your health.