We tend to make a lot of soups in our house, one because it uses up all the leftover veg and two, because it’s a really cheap yet filling lunch for the hubby to take to work with him. When deciding what soup to make I always just go with whatever’s in the fridge and very rarely buy anything especially for a soup, it’s just so versatile.
This week we had some leftover bacon bits and lot’s of broccoli that was starting to yellow slightly. Instead of throwing it away it because this really yummy and super thrifty smoky bacon & broccoli soup, it cost about £2 to make and lasted us both for two lunches for two days!
- 1 onion
- 20g butter
- 200g smokey bacon - I used the bacon bits, much cheaper than buying streaky bacon
- 1.5 l of ham or chicken stock
- 300g broccoli
- 3 smallish potatoes
- 150 ml milk
- Lightly fry the onion & bacon in the butter until the onion is softened but not brown
- Add the potatoes and fry for a further 5 mins
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil then simmer for about 15-20 mins until the potatoes have softened
- Add the broccoli & milk and simmer again for 10 mins
Do you make much soup? What flavour would you recommend trying next?