I hate salad & I honestly mean hate. Cucumbers make me feel sick, peppers give me horrendous indigestion, even the smell sets me off & don’t even mention the devil food that is radishes!! So like I said, I’m really not a fan but I know I should be eating more salad so I’ve had to come up with ways of finding a salad that works for me.
Firstly I’ve had to find something I can tolerate, this is lettuce, rocket & tomatoes. Yep only the three items, boring I know so the next step is to add extras to give it a bit of oooomph. This may sound daft to some you seasoned salad eaters but for me, I really had to think hard about what I could actually add to a salad so I would eat it and it’s mainly cold veg!
- I love making a green salad by adding cold broccoli & green beans or asparagus to wild rocket
- Balsamic dressing, spring onions & a little grated cheese always makes a salad a little easier for me to eat
- Adding boiled new potatoes or grated carrot bulks out a salad for the days when you’re a little hungrier
- I try to add salad into other meals where I can, rather than the meal be focused on salad.
- If I’m having meat with my salad, such as chicken I’ll always add the salad to the fork with the chicken, yes I know it makes me sound a bit weird but I find it much easier to eat that way.
- It’s easy to try and mask the flavour with dressings but I always try to use the lowest fat versions possible, there’s no point forcing myself to eat salad then having more calories than a burger!!
So there’s my salad dodgers guide, what would you add or are you one of those strange people that actually love salad?